Monday, June 22, 2009

Republican's rising star - "A man who might be the Answer to the GOP"

Politico).Florida GOP Senate candidate Marco Rubio could hardly have written a better introduction for himself during his appearance on MSNBC earlier today.

Anchor Carlos Watson referred to Rubio, the primary challenger against Gov. Charlie Crist (R-Fla.), as a “rising star” in the Republican party – even comparing him favorably to President Obama.

"He's young. He's attractive. He easily connects with crowds. Remind you of anyone we know? Ten-to-one, this guy will soon be labeled the GOP's Barack Obama," Watson said.



Meanwhile, there were also some encouraging developments for Rubio on the campaign trail as he pursues his underdog campaign against the sitting governor. Rubio won overwhelming support from Republican party leaders in Pasco County (around Tampa-St. Petersburg), which neighbors Crist’s home base of Pinellas County.

Rubio received 73 votes to Crist’s 9 votes in a countywide straw poll of the Senate primary.

That's a blow to Crist, who was endorsed by the country GOP when he faced a competitive primary in 2006. And it's consistent with the (anecdotal) gripes of many prominent conservative activists throughout the Sunshine State.

Sen Jim Demint on Teleconference with Right wing news why he endorsed Rubio:
"I've endorsed Marco Rubio because Americans are outraged at the direction our country is being taken. Everywhere we look, the government is expanding and people are looking for an alternative and it's important that we don't offer the status quo, Democrat-lite, in 2010.

I think Marco Rubio's message is inspiring. He gets you excited about being an American and a Republican. Marco has convinced me that he can win the race in Florida and set the pace for Republicans all over the country."

"Then they have no confidence in our message. I think people are looking for conservative leadership. I believe Americans agree with us on the role the government is playing in our economy and I know that because Barack Obama had to lie about it to get elected.

The NRSC points to poll numbers that say Crist is beating Rubio badly. Do you think he can win the primary?

"I was in the same situation myself and I won and not only do I think Marco Rubio can win, I think he's the favorite. I think he has ideas that are much more powerful than the politicians. I think the people in Florida are going to move towards his message".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Young, good-looking, well-spoken and WHAT?? Conservative? Oh, my! He had me looking for the teleprompter, he was so good.

Happy Dae·
http://ShoeStringGenealogy.com

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" (Churchill)