Tuesday, April 28, 2009

MITT HAS IT! Romney's speaking abilities (without a teleprompter) will inflame his presidential bid

(Ryan Cooper-news-leader).The pandemonium of the thousands of young people on their feet, cheering their country, could be felt through the television. I couldn't flip the channel off of C-SPAN until the end of the speech.

President Barack Obama is a good speaker, but he's got nothing on former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, who hit a grand slam at the recent Conservative Political Action Conference. His passionate delivery has sparked interest in a possible 2012 run at the White House.


Speaking skills can make or break a candidate. Obama went from an unknown Illinois state senator to a presidential contender after delivering a powerful keynote address at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.

The anticipation of actor and former Tennessee Sen. Fred Thompson proved to be much bigger than the candidate, who quickly lost support after a series of lackluster speeches. Even Romney's speeches in 2008 were wonkish and too bogged down with details.

Romney and Thompson lost votes to their major rival on the right, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee. The former Baptist preacher could whip a crowd into an Evangelical fervor of "amens," launching his dark horse campaign into the top-tier of candidates.

With a better delivery, Romney will be a better candidate in 2012 than in 2008. It also doesn't hurt that he finished second in the previous Republican primary races.

Voters are more willing to give second-place primary winners a second chance over losing vice presidential candidates. Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush and John McCain each lost their first time before becoming the Republican nominee.

The biggest reason why Republicans will pick Romney over Huckabee or Palin is electability. Romney can win blue states without alienating red-state voter.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, Mitt's speaking abilities?--He has none. The people at CPAC are just biased because they voted for him in the past. Mitt has zero speaking abilities. Come on'--durring the Iowa caucus's he would go around and speak from a power-point. Isn't that like a teleprompter? It put me to sleep. I switched my vote to Fred, but he put me more to sleep than Mitt did. Then I went to a McCain event, and he was perhaps a slightly energetic version of Fred. Thompson and that is not saying much. Then I finally went to see Mike Huckabee speak and I was impressed. The guy actually spoke in language I could understand and seemed to "get me." I'm a blue-color kind of guy who had worked at a factory last year, and ended up voting for Huck because he actually went over to me and talked to me just about who I was and my life. I was impressed. I can't picture Mitt doing that, because everytime I picture him, he comes accross as a rich guy who never got oil on his hands in his life. Next election, I'm open to Huck or Jindal, but probably Huck since Jindal is young.

Anonymous said...

If you want an idea of Mitt Romney's speaking abilities, try his Faith in America speech. It's still on youtube, dude.

I have plenty of friends to have a beer with and my ego does not need stoked. I want a President who is the best and brightest for our country (he wasn't called to turn around the Olympics for nothing) and can bring us back our freedom and prosperity, not to mention the Constitution. He has two masters in law and economics WITH HONORS.

And Romney does, too, get his hands dirty. He's a very nice and down to earth guy with a wonderful family. Be honest and fair, if you love Jesus so much. Shame on you.

I am hoping it's MITT 2012!!!

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" (Churchill)