Sunday, May 24, 2009

Colin Powell: I am still a Republican, Calls for More Inclusive Party

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell touted his Republican credentials Sunday, shooting down pointed criticism from Rush Limbaugh and Dick Cheney that he had abandoned the GOP.

"Rush will not get his wish and Mr. Cheney was misinformed. I am still a Republican," Powell said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

While standing by his loyalty to the Republicans, Powell defended his endorsement of President Obama last fall:"I am still a Republican. I'd like to point out that in the course of my 50 years of voting for presidents, I have voted for the person i thought was best qualified at that time to lead the nation. Last year I thought it was President-now Barack Obama," Powell said.

Powell continued to call on the Republican Party to be more moderate and expand its base,"You can only do two things with a base. You can sit on it and watch the world go by, or you can build on it," Powell said. He said the party should be more inclusive, "I think the rep Republican party has to take a hard look at itself and decide what kind of party are we? I have always felt that the Republican party should be more inclusive than it generally has been over the years."

Excuse me Mr. Powell where were you when we nominated a so called maverick and moderate nominee John McCain to run as head of the Republican Party? did we lose to Obama cuz we were too moderate or cuz we were not Liberal enough?

No comments:

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" (Churchill)