Monday, August 31, 2009

Did Ted Kennedy worry about debating Romney?

(GOP12).The New York Times re-runs an interesting interview from 1995, in which Vicki Kennedy and Ted Kennedy's biographer, Adam Clymer, discuss the relatively close 1994 duel with Mitt Romney.

Among other things, there was some concern over the debates.

Mr. Clymer: One friend of his [Kennedy's] told me that he was, too, not that he was afraid to debate, but reading all these stories and clips saying about how good Romney was, but he was a little concerned about it, and how well he could handle him.

Mrs. Kennedy: That Teddy was?

Mr. Clymer: Yeah. Not true?

Mrs. Kennedy: I just think that's very funny. No, obviously he took it seriously and he prepared. I mean I know him when he prepares and he knows himself when he prepares, and when he was ready to go do his thing, two days before the debate, he was brushing his teeth in Boston and he just apropos of nothing, turned to me and he said, "I'm ready, you know." And I said, "Yeah, I know." Because I did. I knew. You could just see it.

Mr. Clymer: No, I don't mean that late because by that point he was up there campaigning, and had done the Faneuil Hall and all of that. But I mean a little bit earlier.

Another Senator, a friend of his said that he was a little worried about Romney, in debating him.

No comments:

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty" (Churchill)